Callands Clerk's Office, Courthouse & Gaol

1. mapAmerican History was created in Callands when citizens from the area elected a Committee of Safety to stand against King George III in 1775. Both buildings have been restored and are available for tours with sufficient advance notice.
434-432-9338 (map)

Chatham Hall, Chatham

2 Chatham Hall was built in 1894 as a girl's preparatory school and boasts a beautiful campus. St. Mary's Chapel is an exquisite example of Renaissance architecture. The lovely stained glass windows in the sanctuary display images of women of the Bible and women saints.
434-432-2941 (map)

1813 Clerk's Office, Chatham

3 16 Court Place From Main Street, drive one block west on Court Place, walk behind Town Hall. Located “in the backyard” of Chatham's Town Hall, the Pittsylvania County Clerks Office of 1813 remains near the same spring that was designated by court order for its original placement. Currently surrounded by a town park, with a pavilion for picnics, a gazebo for seating and a reconstructed tobacco barn for viewing, the Pittsylvania Historical Society restored this L-shaped brick building with a Virginia Department of Historic Resources grant. Listed in 1981 as a Virginia Historic Landmark and 1982 on the National Register of Historic Places, it is a Museum of over 1000 local artifacts dating from the county's beginning, which include memorabilia from every war. Also it is a building used for historical depictions that the Society maintains for its meeting and public edification.

Laid in Flemish bond with dogtooth corbels for cornices with four rows of unmolded brick set at a 45-degree angle, this red brick building looks similar to Virginia's early government structures all the way across the state to the Tidewater section. Three outside entries have heavy wooden bars inside as well as shuttered windows of 18 panes. There are four fireplaces within two rooms, with chair rails, plastered walls and stone floors. In 2007, the Society placed rest rooms nearby to accommodate visitors to the county seat. The Town of Chatham, owner. 434-432-9515 (map)

Hargrave Military Academy, Chatham

4 Hargrave Military Academy was built in 1909 as a private school and combines academics, military training, and sports. The Onishi-Davenport Aquatic center features an Olympic-size swimming pool and is open to the public at scheduled times.
434-432-2481 (map)

Pittsylvania County Cultural Center, Chatham

5. The Center is an earth science and literature multi-media laboratory and classroom. Schedule is available upon request. 434-432-7887 (map)

Pittsylvania County Courthouse, Chatham

6 This Greek Revival structure, built in 1853 has been elegantly restored and is also listed in the Virginia and National Register of Historic Places. The clerk's office maintains records dating back to 177 and also provides in-depth genealogical documents and records. Open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.
434-432-7887 (map)

Street Car Diner, Chatham

7 19 South Main Street. East Side of Rt. 29 Business; Corner of Pruden and Main Streets. In the center of Chatham's Historic District is a reconditioned double-truck Birney streetcar (#66), utilized with overhead power lines by the City of Danville 1926-1938. Before World War II, three Burnette brothers purchased and trucked it to this location beside a gas station, then refurbished it as a diner. "Short order" selections were served outside through a pass-through window (fashioned within a portion of its front windshield) or inside from a 1930's custom-built counter including attached bar stools. Later, structural features enlarged dining facilities, but interior roof ribbing still denotes quality wood contruction by Perley A. Thomas Car Company, High Point, N.C. Outside on the roof is a 1941 timepiece manufactured by the National Clock Company and the trolley's original headlight is re-electrified to brighten red exterior paint. A Virginia Historic Landmark, listed 1996 on the National Register of Historic Places among Virginia Diners, upgrades by subsequent owners and proprietors for food service led to a 2007 transformation for a Vistiors Center, a project of Pittsylvania Historical Society with support of Chatham First, Inc.

The town's Revitalization Committee enabled beautification on this corner of Main and Pruden Streets in the 1990's with assistance of Pittsylvania County Schools Vo-Tech students and local gardners to create a raised garden, surrounded by a brick foundaiton wall. This inspired citizens' Memorial gifts of plantings and benches to compliment the overall design, which creates a multi-purpose site with the former service station rebuilt as an insurance office, owned by Mr. Allan Easley and DMV satellite site. Open for the first time. (map)

Tomahawk Mill Winery, Chatham

8 Treat yourself to fine wines in a historic water-powered Grist Mill and vineyard that overlooks a beautiful mill pond. Tours and tastings are Tuesday through Saturday ~ 11 a.m. until 5 p.m., March 15 through December 15 or by appointment. 434-432-1063 (map)

Town of Chatham Walking Tour

9. Chatham was established as a town in 1777 during the turbulent years of the American Revolution. Chatham has been affectionately called the "Prettiest Little Town in Southside Virginia." It has also been called the hub of American architecture by some, as she boasts a fine representation of pre-Revolution, Federal, Victorian, and post-Victorian architecture. Various Walking Tour brochures are available at the 1813 Clerk's Office as well as on this site. 434-432-9515. (map)


Other Points of Interest

Simpson Funeral Museum